Translate

Saturday 8 December 2018

TOP 5: Observational Comedians





TOP 5: Observational Comedians


By Matthew L. Hart

Humor Writer/Comedian


Author of:

Would you rather have a cat or a dog? Why?


Matthew L. Hart

I like the idea of having a dog. But, the reality is that dogs require a lot of time. So, what I have, is cats. 

Cats are good because of all the typical reasons. They're independent, silly and mostly, cats allow us to travel and cancel Netflix.

We set up enough food, water and litter, and can be gone for a few days.

I prefer not to take them to a kennel. 


All of our cats are rescues.
The Cats Of The House

Eve is our latest.
Andrea and I rescued her on Christmas Eve.

My wife spotted her under a van at her workplace and claims she fed the thing a dozen little smokies from the Christmas Party. 

We took her home and she ate another bowl of cat food. Broke our hearts to see something starving out there in the cold. 

Eve is our favorite Christmas present.


TOP 5: Observational Comedians


There are many different kinds of Comedians.


I think of them as genres:

Observational
Topical/Political
Regional
Hipster

This list actually gets pretty long but, I think you get the idea.

This week I'm studying great Observational Comedians.

Observational Comedians make fun of the minutia of life. 

They focus their magnifying glass onto the everyday little things we take for granted or never took the time to notice.

These are my Top 5 Observational Comedians.


1. Jerry Seinfeld  Jerry Seinfeld: I'm Telling You For The Last Time


Most people will recognize Jerry Seinfeld from his hit TV show, Seinfeld.

The show itself was created by Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, and collected many, many, many, many, many, Emmy Awards.

As a pop culture reference, if anyone says, mostly in a nasally voice, "What's the deal with...(insert topic here)?"

That's Jerry Seinfeld.


2. George Carlin  George Carlin: The Commemorative collection



No subject was off-limits to George Carlin, and his willingness to explore even the taboo topics is what made him great.

I grew up with George Carlin as Mr. Conductor from Shining Time Station.

His roll as Mr. Conductor is in stark contrast to his "Seven Dirty  Words" monologue.

As I grew up through High School, George Carlin seemed to pop up as a cameo in all my favorite movies.


3. Richard Pryor Richard Pryor: Live On Sunset Strip


I was first introduced to Richard Pryor while growing up and watching Sesame Street.

Later, I grew into his no holds barred stand up routines.

Pryor liked to explore truth and pain.

Jerry Seinfeld even called Richard Pryor, "The Picasso of our profession."


4. Louis C.K.  Louis C.K. Chewed Up


There's so many great Observational Comedians out there, I didn't want to exclude those who still working.

Right now, Louis' career seems to have peaked after some personal issues and allegations but, his work still holds up.

I first saw him on Comedy Central Presents. He definitely stood out to me as he re-tilled common topics like dating and raising children.

I guess I resonated with his no nonsense kind of attitude.  


5. Brian Regan  Brian Regan: Standing Up


Not all great comedians have to be edgy and work blue. Regan's work can be great listening with your kids on long road trips.

That's why I added Brian Regan. Like Seinfeld, he's just telling it how he sees it. In a friendly and playful kind of way. 

He uses observational, sarcastic and self-deprecating humor to make us remember what it was like being a kid.

Oh, boy! I hate how much I related but, it's funny cause it's true.



Click To Sample

My TOP 5: Observational Comedians



Did I get it all wrong?


Who would you rank as your 

TOP 5 Observational Comedians?


THROW YOUR LIST IN THE COMMENTS



Dress on point for the show with
90's Retro!



GAFF YOUR LOGOS!






BRICK IS LIFE






Find my book:


No comments:

Post a Comment